Recap: 54th Annual Purge A Success

By: Fritz Algard

Friday, November 27, 2015 marked America’s 54th Annual Celebration of the Purge, a holiday dedicated to the legalization of murder for 24 hours.  Not all partake in this celebration with roughly 70% of the population (typically wealthy) remaining indoors secured from the chaos. Of the 30% who celebrated, 28.4% were classified as coming from a low-income household, who for the most part had no other choice but to be left on the streets to defend themselves.

Compared to the violent scenes of last year, this year has been very sedate, with a major drop in the percentage of deaths.  While reports of in-person stabbings remained low, the rise of online cyber-intimidation (when one intimidates another to kill themselves via social media) was at an all time high.  Some websites, such as Facebook.com and Twitter.com, failed to cope with the demand as millions of users flooded their websites in search of victims.

eBay launched a celebration special after an “exceptionally busy morning” by offering deals on people willing to die for a price.

Women were more active in the killings than men, the 66% female vs. 34% male gender split continuing the trend from last year.  The age group making the highest amount of kills were 25-34 year olds, followed by the 35-44 year olds.  A 22% increase can be seen in the number of 45-55 year old killings compared to 2014’s Celebration of the Purge.

As the final alarm sounded marking the end of the 24-hour period, many streets flooded with a team of volunteers helping to clean up the aftermath and bloodshed.  The U.S. Census Bureau reported: “The Celebration of the Purge has once again been deemed successful in controlling our country’s population.  An official census count will be release in the coming weeks.”

Those who missed out on this year’s Purge will have the opportunity to participate next year as the celebration is scheduled for Friday, November 25th, 2016.

Advertisements